Sunday, November 1, 2009

La Vega and the Meat Market

On Tuesday Chase and I decided to venture into real Santiago and go to the local markets. It took us a while to find it but we finally found the market. It was totally different than what I was expecting. There were lots of fruits and vegetables but most of them were the same in every booth. Since we are still coming out of winter we still do not have a lot variety. I never thought I would say this but I really would love some different vegetables. I actually miss Green beans! While we enjoyed the market, we did not end up buying a ton because everything was sold by the kilo, which is a lot for two people. The vendors would not negotiate either. We only found one person that would sell us a half a kilo. Regardless, it was a fun experience and we got to see a different side of the local culture.

Chase at La Vega

After La Vega we headed to the a meat market to pick up some meat. It was a hilarious because I thought I knew the word for pork chop but when we got there I could not find it. Like everything in Chile they do not use the most common phrase. Luckily, we had our trusty dictionary and were able to find it. The meat was so much better than the grocery store we might have to make another trip soon.

Merrill at the meat counter trying find pork chops, everything just looks the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment