Saturday, January 9, 2010

Made in Chile

I am sure most of you have heard by now but Chase and I are expecting our first child. This little surprise has completely changed our life. In late November I actually thought that there might be a chance that we were pregnant so I took a pregnancy test but it came back negative. Looking back I should not have put so much faith in one little test but at the time we believed it. Over the next 4 weeks I felt terrible like I had a stomach bug or parasite, literally for 3 weeks I could barely eat anything and I lived off of crackers and sprite, with an ocassional meal here and there. Not only was I extremely nauseous but I was unbelievable tired as well. Even though I was not feeling well Chase and I decided to go to the North of Chile for Christmas as planned. Despite my getting sick a few times during the trip we had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves.

Our original plan was to bus all the way back from San Pedro to Santiago with a couple stops along the way. By this time we both aknowledged that there was a good possibilty that I was pregnant and decided that we wanted to get back to Santiago as quickly as possible. We arrived in Santiago very late on Tuesday the 29th. Wednesday morning we woke up and walked to the closest pharmacy and bought a pregnancy test. When the result came back positive my first reaction to was to break out in tears, I was just so overwhelmed. Luckily I have an incredible husband who was so calm and able to remind me what a blessing it is to be pregnant reguardless if it was planned or if we were ready.

To make sure the test was right we headed to the Santa Maria clinic located not too far from our apartment. To prepare for this visit I got online and went to my favorite site google translate and tpyed in my speech so that I could communicate with the receptionist. I wrote it down and off we went. Using the little bit of spanish and my hand written card, which I handed to the receptionist we were able to check in at the clinic. We only waited for about 30 minutes before a nurse came and got us. She lead us back to a room where she took my blood pressure and asked me some questions. She told me that she needed to do a blood test which would be able to tell us if we were pregnant or not.

waiting for the blood test results

Our day took an interesting turn when a little man came into our room with a wheel chair and motioned for me to sit down. It was so funny because I told him that I did not need it but he insisted that I sit down. So as I am being pushed through the hall of this hospital I looking at all the other people they all looked so sick and here I was being pushed in a wheel chair.


After a short ride we arrived in an empty office and were told to wait. I think everyone was scared to try to communicate with us because no one told us what was going on. Finally a doctor walked into the room and introduced himself and informed us that he was going to do a sonogram on me. Honestly, looking at the screen was a life changing moment for both Chase and I.

Since then I have started feeling so much better. I can actually eat a meal which is great and have an appetite. We are headed home in 5 days and I can not wait to see family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. haha love the title of this post and would love to hang out with y'all when you're home!!!

    SO so thrilled! xoxo

    ReplyDelete