Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Over 37 Hairpin turns Later we FINALLY arrive at the top!

Sunday was a very relaxing day for Chase and I, we slept in then listened to a sermon online. We then met up with Andrew and Ahsley, one of Andrew's friends visiting. Our first stop of the day was for lunch. We walked over to Bella Vista. Bellas Vista were all the University students hang out it is fun place during the day and for dinner but gets dangerous at night.

After lunch we headed up to Mount St. Cristobal a small mountain overlooking Santiago with a huge statue of the mother Mary on top of it. It was fun to walk around but we went of a cloudy day so I really want to go back when it is clear.

Chase and I riding the Venecular up the mountain

One of the beautiful views

Inside the church

The Chilean flag look so much like the Texas flag that we always think at first oh look there is a Texas flag.

Chase and Merrill in front of Mother Mary

Andrew and Merrill

Walking down from St. Cristobal

After walking down we headed to the grocery store to buy a few things for dinner and walked to Andrew for some incredible guacamole and chicken fajitas. Mexican food tasted so good!

Ashley, Andrew and Merrill enjoying Mexican food at Andrew's house

Monday was a very early morning. In fact I got to see my first sunrise in Santiago and I must say it was absolutely beautiful. Chase and I grabbed a quick bowl of cereal and headed out the door once again dressed in our ski gear. We met Ashley at the Metro station and hoped on the metro that took us to a bus that then dropped us off at the ski shop. This time we made the bus and began the most treacherous, longest drive of my life and the worst part was we were facing backwards. About half way up I began to feel really sick and if it had not been for a very nice Brazilian I might have thrown up on the bus.

1 hour and 30 minutes later we were in the Andes I was so glad to put my feet on the ground. Skiing was very fun we met an Australian named Adam that had skied at Valle Nevado before so we skied with him the rest of the day.

Right before lunch we decided to go on one more ride. We headed down the mountain and found some great powder. We got down to this lift and Adam says, "I have got some bad news Mates,"which is a phrase you never want to hear, "We are in El Colorado not Valle Nevado." We had skied into the neighboring resort! The thing that makes this so funny is that our friend Andrew had warned us about this because he had to walk back up the mountain and it took him about one and half hours to walk up.

We decided to take our chances and tuck our lift tickets into our pockets and see if we could just get on the lift. As we approached you could tell the lift line guy was seriously contemplating whether to ask to see our tickets or because we were obviously gringos just let us on the lift. We got really really lucky and he did not ask so we got on the lift as quickly as possible.

At the top of El Colorado in front of the T-bar we took up

Luckily the rest of the day was relatively uneventful till the bus ride home which proved to be just as sickening as the ride home. This time I did start out facing forward and stuck my head our the window the entire ride down, which helped a little. I can honestly say that I love to ski but I really do not think I can go up that road again!

Chase and Merrill during lunch, we had the biggest burgers I have ever seen in my life

Chase skiing

Our Australian friend Adam

After skiing about to head home




No comments:

Post a Comment