Sunday, August 30, 2009

Apartment searching and Texmex mmm!

Chase attempting to negotiate

Saturday was our day to look for apartments. We set out with two Spanish dictionaries and had a long day of "que, lo siento, no comprende, and a whole lot of made up spanish words that got us nowhere. Although it was extremely frustrating at times, it ended up being a good experience. It was the first time that we really had to use our Spanish, well Chase's Spanish. We have almost done too good of a job finding people who speak English, so we have not had to speak very much spanish. I really think we will be more challenged to speak spanish once we are on our own.

To reward ourselves for a such a long day of working so hard, we treated ourselves to some delicious Mexican food, at La Mordida. It was great because the menu was in Spanish but it was all words we understood because obviously the dishes are called the same thing at our Mexican restaurants.

Chase enjoying Mexican food!

The Margaritas were not bad either!

Sunday was a much more low key day we continued the Apartment search but tried to relax a little. We spent the afternoon walking to Jumbo, which is the biggest grocery store I have ever been to. It was not an original idea half of Santiago also thought it would be a good day to go to Jumbo so it was extremely crowded.

Chileans are a very interesting people they are some of the craziest drivers I have ever seen in the way the drive and they places the park. They push their shopping carts in the same manner. Chase and I actually saw a guy ram another cart out of his way and keep going down the isle. It was like bumper cars trying to push your cart through the Chileans.

Getting bread out of the bread bins proved to be just as dangerous. I felt like I was back on the basketball court trying to rebound under the basket hoop, because I had people pushing, bumping me out of the way as I quickly tried to get my bread. Apparently you have to be aggressive just to get some bread.

Even though it was crazy, I loved Jumbo because they had everything! Because it was 40 or so minute walk we took a cab home and cooked some dinner. I finally got to make some pesto, which I have been craving for some time. Thank to Ashlea Taylor, who has a fabulous cooking blog I got a great recipe. Her blog is Thelittlekitchenthatcould.blogspot.com you should definitely check it out, she has some great recipes.

Eating the fabulous chicken pesto sandwhiches with some chip and salsa we found.

Enjoying the cheapest biggest ice cream cone

No comments:

Post a Comment