Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Buenos Aires

Our first day in Buenos Aires was overcast which eventually turned into rain, but we made the most of it with a city tour which started in Plaza De Mayo, where the presidents house along with some other important political buildings are located. The presidents house is pink, when we asked our tour guide this question she informed us that since the White House is white in Washington Argentina wanted their president's house to have a color name as well so they chose the Pink House. I have no idea if this is a myth or the truth but I thought it was a fun fact regardless.

Chase and I in front of the Pink House or Placio de Mayo

Mallory and Megan in Plaza De Mayo

After the plaza we drove over to the St. Elmo neighborhood to see one of the oldest neighborhoods in Buenos Aires. On Sundays there is huge antique market that Chase and I really wanted to go to but it was pouring so we were not able to go. After St. Elmo we headed over to La Boca.


Chase, Mom, Molly and Walker in La Boca

La Boca was a very touristy neighborhood but I really enjoyed it. An artist convinced everyone to paint their houses a different color so all the home are very colorful. It is a great place to go to buy souvenirs or to walk around. From there we drove around the Soho neighborhood before making a stop at one of the futbol stadiums.



On the tour we saw a dog walker walking I think we counted 18 dogs

From the stadium we drove to Recoleta Cemetery. I had heard that we had to go here but I did not understand why everyone talked about it till we got there. It was incredible. They have the most ornate monuments, I have ever seen.

Family trying to survive the cold in Recoleta Cemetery


Evita's Grave. As you can tell Evita is still a very beloved women in Argentina. Her grave was the only one covered in flowers.

We needed to dry off and warm up after the cemetery, so we had the driver drop us off at the Alvear Palace Hotel one of the nicest and oldest hotels in Buenos Aires for lunch. The Alvear hotel is one of the most ornately decorated hotels I have ever been in, it was fun to have lunch in their bar and just watch the comings and goings of all the people. After lunch we walked back to the apartment because Walker had to pack and get ready for his flight.

Waiting for the driver to come pick up Walker, we were so sad to see him go.

It was so hard for me to say goodbye to Walker. Out of all my siblings he is the one I get to talk to the least. Shocking I know the boy in the family is the hardest to communicate with. I just had so much fun with him he made us all laugh the entire trip. He and Chase spent the entire trip coming up with Survival rules. It all started out with when Walker got off the plane in Chile he proudly displayed his currency. When Chase and I asked where he got it he said, "Well I thought what would William Glasgow do right after he got off of a plane in a foreign country? He would get currency." Chase and I immediately began laughing because it was so true. If I remember correctly rule 1 was to get currency, rule 2 learn the language , rule 3 was befriend a local, rule 4 don't hesitate, and rule 5 dress in layers. I am pretty sure there were more but it was definitely a running joke the entire trip to come up with new rules, but only Chase and Walker could declare them a rule. But with all good things they have to come to an end so we said a teary goodbye to Walker and sent him off to the airport.

In the evening we got dressed up and walked over to the Four Season for drinks before walking to El Mirasol a steak place for dinner. Honestly being from Texas I must admit that I think our beef is just as good or maybe even better than Argentina's beef.

Saturday was luckily a beautiful day in Buenos Aires. We had planned to go on a boat cruise but on Friday canceled it because we were afraid that it was going to rain. Instead we took advantage of the beautiful weather and headed to Palermo Soho to go shopping. One thing is for sure the shopping in Argentina is so much better than Chile. I think I would get into trouble shopping if we lived in Argentina, luckily there is nothing to buy in Chile.

Molly and I in the cab on the way to Soho

We had so much fun walking around SOHO and just looking at all the store. For some reason by the end of the trip I stopped taking pictures so I do not have any of us walking around. For lunch we met up Margaret Heidrick for lunch in Palermo Hollywood which is very close to SOHO. She has been living in Buenos Aires for the past 2 years so it was great to hear about everything from her perspective.

After lunch we had to head back to the apartment so everyone could pack up to leave. It was so hard for me to think that the trip was over and that my family had to return home. I have been planning and thinking about them coming to visit for 3 months and in with what seemed like a blink of an eye they had come and now where leaving. I knew that when they left it was going to be hard I just had no idea how hard it would be.

It was so fun having my family come visit. I really enjoyed getting to show them where we live and the places we go every day. As much fun as Chase and I are having, we definitely miss all of our friends and family.

Chase tried to cheer me by taking me to a nice Italian Dinner. I don't know if I mentioned this already but because so many Italians settled in Argentina the Italian food is incredible.

Dinner at Peigari Vitello

Sunday was our anniversary so we moved out of the apartment and to a hotel for the night.


The apartment we stayed in, in Buenos Aires much nicer than our apartment in Santiago

The elevator was a little scary it was one of those old ones where only 3 people can ride at a time.


Outside the apartment



1 comment:

  1. Old-world elegance: magnificent architecture, fabulous wines, and tango halls where feisty tangueros strut their stuff. Those are the basic reasons explaining why somebody shoulg go to BA. I rented a buenos aires apartment near downtoen and I knew every single shopping.
    Restaurants I got to know where unbelievably luxurious.
    I simply loved it!
    Cheers
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete