Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Tatio Gysers in San Pedro Atacama

Saturday morning, Chase and I had yet another early morning waking up at 3:45 to go see the Gysers. We had to be outside our hostel by 4:00. Unfortunately, the bus did not come till around 4:45. Furthermore, we did not do enough research we had no idea that we had a two hour bus ride up to 15,000 ft. While talking to the tour guide she had told us that is was going to be cold around freezing temperature but that it would warm up, she also said that there were thermal pools to go swimming in. This made us think ok we will wear our swim suites under jeans and a t-shirt then wear a fleece and I will wear my puff jacket. Well, let me tell we were not dressed properly, I can honestly say I do not think I have ever been that cold.

Waiting outside the hostel to get picked up

The Gysers

We got the gysers around 6:45 and they were neat to see. After the watching the gysers for a while we went back to bus were they had set up some breakfast for us to eat. By this time both Chase and I were not feeling to well. We had not acclimated properly and had definitely not hydrated enough before this excursion. Everyone else went for a swim in the thermal pools, while I got sick not too much fun. On the way home it was much more pleasant because we stopped to look at different things breaking up the incredible bumpy ride home.

Being up so high, Chase and I both felt sick

In front of the thermal pools

One of our stops was to see this stream through the dessert, it was pretty amazing

We also stopped at little Chilean village, that lives off of hearding Lamas

Chase felt really sick so he staid on the bus while I went exploring

The bus Chase was on!

It was crazy there was a Long horn sticker in this tiny little town in the middle of the dessert

They were cooking Lama on Kababs

Once back in town Chase and I decided we needed to eat something and looked for a place to grab a sandwich. We ended up at a restaurant called Café Tierra. This place kind of reminded me of a New Age café and I did not really enjoy the food.

By this time we were exhausted and decided to move our afternoon excursion to Sunday. Chase was still not feeling well from the altitude and we both needed to hydrate before going on a hike. We decided to head back to the hostel for a long nap. Sleeping in the afternoon here is not such a bad idea because it is miserable hot and sun just beats down on you.

After our nap we took showers and went to walk around town and find an Internet Café. For dinner we went to a restaurant called La Casona Chase had a kabob and I had some chicken while we enjoyed a local band.

No comments:

Post a Comment