Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A sleepless Friday night and two days in Santiago

I was so excited the Friday night before my family came to visit that I honestly do not think that I slept very much. I must admit that most of it was excitement but a little was anxiety, Walker was getting in at 7:50 in the morning and I did not want to be late! Luckily we made it on time and were there to greet him. I do not think I have ever been so glad to see my brother. While we have only been gone for 3 and 1/2 months, I had not seen him for over 5 months.

Walker and Chase waiting for the rest of the family to arrive. Walker was so tired from the over night flight. He some how missed the memo that it is a 9 hour flight.

The rest of the family did not arrive till around 11:00 and I really was extatic to see them all. It was such a surreal experience to have them all in Chile. I still can not believe they were all here, it went by so quickly.

Everyone loading the bags into the van in the Santiago Airpot parking lot

Our first stop was the hotel to drop off all the bags and let everyone freshen up after the long flight. Unfortunately, the rooms were not ready, so they let them use the spa instead. After everyone was feeling a little cleaner we walked to one of Chase and my favorite places for burgers called Tippy Tap. Luckily it was as beautiful warm day so we got to sit outside. Usually Tippy Tap is so crowded you have to fight for a table but on Saturdays our area of town is vacant. We live in the business area so the weeks are crowded.

Everyone enjoying lunch

To fight their sleep depravation we had to make a stop at the Starbucks on the way to our apartment. In the three months that we have lived here Chase and I have avoided it but I think Molly would have died if we did not stop!

Dad and Mallory waiting for their drinks

All the Gringos enjoying their starbucks

After Starbucks we walked over to show the fam our apartment. They could not believe how small it was! All my mom could say was it looks so much bigger in the pictures. With the whole family in the living room you could barely get around. Chase and I loved getting show them what we do every day and the area that we live. We even took them to the Unimarc where we do most of our shopping.


As you can tell the Starbucks began to wear off and everyone was ready for nap so we headed back to the hotel. Once again the rooms were not ready so we settled into the lobby to wait. My parents stayed in a new hotel and well lets just say they were still trying to figure things out.

Mom, Megan and Me hanging out in the lobby

Walker and Molly couldn't fight it any longer they ended up taking a nap in the lobby

Finally the rooms were ready and everyone headed for a nap. Chase and I ran to the local store to get some cheese and crackers and some wine before returning to the hotel for cocktails and snacks on the balcony over looking the Andes.

Dad, Mom and I enjoying the view. Dad was ready to watch the Texas game

Everyone much happier after their naps

The family minus dad who took the picture and plus Andrew who joined us for dinner!


For dinner we headed to a very Chilean restaurant called Bar Liguria. It is pretty popular here among the Chileans so we thought it might be a good introduction to Chile. I have thought about this a lot and Chile is not really known for any particular kind of dish or style of cooking. In fact as I have mentioned before most of the cooking here is very bland, so it is very difficult to find a place to eat that offers typical Chilean dishes because well they do not seem to have any.

Enjoying dinner at Bar Liguria

Where else do you head after dinner on Saturday night when there is college football on? California Cantina of coarse, especially when Texas is playing. However, for the first time we could not watch the Texas game because the "Rose Bowl" was on. Yes, a very nice but very confused Chilean was convinced that the Rose Bowl was on TV. The game he was referring to was Oregon vs. Arizona game. I think he will be a little confused when the real Rose bowl takes place. Needless to say we did not stay long at the bar after we found out we could not watch the Texas.

Walker sporting the fanny pack that Andrew game him for our tour of Santiago

Sunday we had a half day tour of Santiago. Chase and I really enjoyed the tour we got see a different side of Santiago. The tour started out at the oldest church in Santiago, The San Francisco. It was a beautiful old church located on Paris and London street. These streets made me feel like I was in Europe.

Megan and Molly in front of the church

Chase and on London Street

London street does have a sad history, there is house located on the street where thousands of people who opposed the Dictatorship went in and never came out. There are bricks like the one of above to remember these people. Many of them were young University students.

Molly and I in the Van

After the church we drove around and got to see different parts of Santiago such as the horse racing track which I had no idea existed. Our next stop was the Cousino Mansion. A beautiful old mansion that belonged to one of the oldest and richest families of Santiago. It was decorated to look like a French Mansion and definitely resembles one. It was incredible to see the wealth of old South America.

Megan and I in front of the Mansion

We had to wear these funny smurf shoes to protect the floors when walking inside

The family in front of the Presidential Palace

Mom and I in Plaza De Armas

View from Cerro San Cristobal

The tour ended with an incredible view from Cerro San Cristobal. The bus dropped us off in Bellavista a great place to grab lunch. However, early that morning my mom had cracked a tooth and there was a clinic located close to Bellavista so the guide said he would take my mom to find out if they could help her, while we went to order lunch. A couple minutes after we ordered lunch however, we got a call from my mom telling us that the tour guide had to leave her to go pick up another group from the Airport. Andrew and I decided that we should go meet up with her, especially because she does not speak one work of Spanish.

Mom and Andrew waiting at the clinic for the dentist to arrive

Mom and the dentist

Although I felt really bad for my mom, going to a clinic was a really good thing to figure out how to do. The clinic was so clean and all the workers were very friendly. We could not have done it without Andrew, my spanish is no where near being able to describe or understand dental problems. Luckily the dentist was able to patch my mom's tooth so she could enjoy the rest of the trip.

The rest of the family had already gone back to the hotel with Chase to rest and get ready for dinner. So my mom and I grabbed a quick bit to eat then came back to my apartment so I could pack for the rest of the week. We had to hurry back to the hotel to meet up with John and Claudia Harris, the couple we lived with for 3 weeks. It was fun to get them to introduce my family to them and just get to know them a little.

After drinks we headed to an Italian restaurant called Nolita for dinner. Chase and I had never been, but it was delicious and we will definitely go back.

There was a crazy table at the restaurant that we had to take a picture with.

Since it was our last night in Santiago and my parents had drug all of our Christmas presents to Santiago everyone decided that we should open our secret Santa gifts. But first Megan had a surprise for everyone, she had designed t-shirts for us all to wear when we ran the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.

Megan passing out the shirts


Mallory was Chase's secret Santa


Chase's new running shoes

Molly was my secret Santa and she was so kind as to bring me the latest magazines

As well as a very cute dress from Anthropologie!
Thanks Molly and Mallory for such great gifts!

3 comments:

  1. yes i have been waiting for this post and i thoroughly enjoyed it. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED reading this and seeing all the pics of your cute family! bet it was so so great to have all of them there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an ex-pat - but back in Texas after 3 years in Santiago. I was feeling homesick for Santiago, so I googled Tippy Tap or Tip y Tap. I ended up on your blog. I loved reading about the visit from your family. The photo of Tip y Tap was so nice. My family and I loved living in Chile. It was also fun to read that you have a Texas connection. Thank you for adding a smile to my face. Peggy

    ReplyDelete